Sunday, October 28, 2012

It's a Boy! (part 2)

Last week, I posted about my cousin's baby shower (here). In that post, I said I would write about the cake balls I made in a later post. Well, here ya go.

Blue Velvet Cake Ball via @cupcake_n_bake #babyshower

Before I start, let me just say that these were a total hit. I'm amazed to know that so many people don't know that the secret to red velvet cake is food coloring, and to get blue velvet, you just change the food coloring. I was going to make cake pops, but I really didn't want to make 140 of those. So I went with pop-able balls. 

Blue Velvet Cake Balls via @cupcake_n_bake #babyshower

Here's the recipe (Print)

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups of self-rising flour
1 1/2 cups of sugar
3 tsp. of cocoa
1 cup of milk
1 1/2 cups of oil
1 tsp. vinegar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 (1/2 oz.) bottle of blue food coloring

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
  3. Add the eggs and the oil, and beat well.
  4. Add all of the remaining ingredients to the mixture, and combine well.
  5. Grease 3 (9 inch) pans, and pour the batter in.
  6. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
Blue Velvet Cake Balls via @cupcake_n_bake #babyshower

Now for the cake ball directions.

You'll need:
3/4 can of Cream Cheese Frosting
4 bags of candy melts
cake (of course)
squeeze bottles

Blue Velvet Cake Balls via @cupcake_n_bake #babyshower

To make the balls, chop up your cake. It should be really chopped up (no big chunks). Then, add the frosting and mix really well. It doesn't matter if you dye the frosting blue or not. That's your choice. After you get the frosting mixed, roll one inch balls and set aside.

Melt the candy melts one bag at a time. Make sure to follow the directions on the package. If the chocolates aren't smooth enough, add a bit of shortening. You will have to do this to each of the bags of candy melts. 

Dip the cake balls into the chocolate. I started by using toothpicks, and that just didn't work. So, after a long frustrating while, I decided just to throw one cake ball in the chocolate at a time and use my rubber spatula to dig them out. Then, I used a toothpick to transport them to a cookie sheet. It worked out pretty well.

When I was finished covering all the cake balls, and they were cooled, I poured some freshly melted chocolate in my squeeze bottles, and made swirly designs on my cake balls.

Blue Velvet Cake Balls via @cupcake_n_bake #babyshower

These turned out wonderfully, and everyone loved the cake balls. They were all so surprised that the cake was blue. These were perfect for a boy baby shower. So when your making cake for your next baby shower, think about these. I bet they would look good in pink, too!
Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments :

  1. Newest follower here! I found you through the Monday link up! Cute blog, I can’t wait to read more!
    -meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for visiting. I'm so glad you found me!

      Delete
  2. These look so delicious and adorable for a baby shower!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. They were a big hit.

      Delete
  3. OOOHHH I love it! These look so YUMMY! I have not yet made cake ball/ pops but its on to do list maybe next week! I would love if you would share them over at heavenly treats Sunday link Party http://pamelasheavenlytreats.blogspot.com/2012/10/heavenly-treats-sunday-link-party-23.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are on my to-share list, for sure. I know your cake pops will be awesome!

      Delete
  4. These look great..a tip for dipping in the melts if you don't have the dipping tools is to take a old four tine fork and either bend or cut the middle 2 tines out.Works great..Will be saving this recipe for upcoming baby showers. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! Thanks so much for the tip. I'll definitely try that next time.

      Delete
  5. Very cute! I make regular red velvet cake balls...never thought to change up the color. Brilliant! You newest blog lovin follower :). Have a great week. Loriannsfoodandfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to do so! :) Unfortunately, I can no longer allow Anonymous commenters due to the amount of spam I have been receiving.