Sunday, October 21, 2012

It's a Boy! (part 1)

Hello again!

I know it's been a while. I'll admit, I went a little awol, and I haven't been around the blogging world. To be fair, I haven't been on the internet for a while. I've been a busy busy bee. My sister asked me to make cookies (that I have already blogged), so that kept me from writing early last week. Then, it was time to make the baby shower items that I had been planning for a while. It took me literally 20 hours to finish it all. I counted. So yeah, I know that's not a good excuse, but I'm back now. Yay! Okay, enough with my rambling. Let's get to the goods.

Baby Shower Cookies via @cupcake_n_bake #babyshower

I made 70 of these bad boy cookies for my cousin's baby shower. Really, I did it for my aunt. She always throws the showers for any of the girls getting married or having babies. I'm from a large family, so this is no small feat. So, I volunteered to make the goodies this time. 

Here's what you need:
  • Your favorite sugar or chocolate cookies
  • royal icing
  • gel coloring in light blue, green, and copper
  • 2 small round paint brushes and 1 small liner brush
  • green and blue sugar crystals

Baby Bottle Cookies via @cupcake_n_bake #babyshower

I started with the white. I outlined every cookie that I wanted white first. It was the easiest. I knew the bottles had to be white, so I knew that I would need a lot of white. For the bottles, outline only the bottom. You'll want to leave space for the top and the nipple. After you finish outlining, Flood your cookies with the white icing. Repeat these steps with the blue and the green. I worked one color at a time. If you are going to do any special designs, make sure to plan for that. I'll get to that later.

Also, on some of the bottles, I painted a little corn syrup onto the top and added sprinkles to give it texture. For the nipples, I used a little of the copper coloring to get that pretty peach color. 

baby Shower Cookies via @cupcake_n_bake #babyshower

See how I made the design on the elephant in the picture above (not the plaid). This is what I was talking about when I said "special designs". I made sure to outline everything I wanted in order to separate the colors. Then, I filled the spaces with the appropriate colors. For the onesies, I made different sized stripes. I mean, sure some onesies are plain, but not all of them. 

Onesie Cookies via @cupcake_n_bake - Perfect for #babyshower

The plaid was not only the most fun, but they were also my favorite. They were super easy, too. These are where you paint brushes come in. You'll need the two round brushed for the green and the blue and the liner brush for the copper. 

First, use either blue or the green to draw one vertical line and one or two horizontal lines. Repeat the step with the other color. Finally, finish the painting with the copper. At the bottom, you don't have to add the second horizontal line. Just draw whatever fits. 

Baby Shower Cookies via @cupcake_n_bake #babyshower

Above is the final product. I forgot my camera, so I snapped a picture with my mom's phone. It takes better pictures than my phone does. I thought they turned out very well, and the people at the party loved them.

I've got a lot of stuff coming up in the next week, so I won't be gone a whole week again. Stay tuned for part two :)
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments :

  1. OMG, those cookies are ADORABLE!!! Ha ha, we are all allowed some time off! :) Found your blog from the blog hop on TFDiaries!!

    xo Jenny
    www.crazystylelove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much; glad you like them! I'm glad for the much needed break. I'll definitely be stopping by your site :)

      Delete

Comments are very appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to do so! :) Unfortunately, I can no longer allow Anonymous commenters due to the amount of spam I have been receiving.